Federal Metals was started in 1950 by our founder, Herb Kraatz. It was a modest operation back then, with Herb picking up scrap metal from various shops and construction sites around the city before he would sort it and sell it.
As the years wore on and the business grew, Herb’s son Marvin Kraatz took over the company and oversaw Federal Metal’s operations and growth. In 1985, we moved the business to the 12-acre yard it sits on today. Not long after, in 2008, Marvin’s daughter Leslie took over the family business alongside our co-owner Dan Klufas.